An Introduction

This blog is to introduce you to the general idea and atmosphere of CPI as a Career and Technical Center. I want people to hear about us, and not in the old “tekker” kind of way. Career and Technical Centers are amazing institutions of learning; students leave here with certifications that adult students pay for. When students graduate they leave skilled workers ready to join the work force, or planning to continue in their field of study through post secondary education. Instructors are skilled and knowledgeable in the fields they teach, and enjoy helping students find a place in the field they have chosen. There is nothing here to make me feel that the old connotation of “tekker” holds true.

So over the next year, I hope you will follow along and see what happens in my classroom, what students are doing, where they are going, and how they plan to get there. I’ll also be allowing students to blog along with me, so you can get their side of the story too. My main goal is to educate and inform the general public about what we do here and how we do it. I hope to be entertaining, and humorous, but most of all I hope to be honest. It’s not always easy, and it’s not always fun, but it is ALWAYS worth it.

Best Regards,

Yana Boyd

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Meet Bryce

Well here goes…. My name is Bryce! I’m hyper, loud, incredibly good looking and I love what I do. I’m an aspiring graphic designer/photographer, in my second year of Graphic Arts at CPI. With intentions on better preparing myself for my future career, I considered this class as a ninth grader. My tenth grade year approached and I was required to make my decision of whether or not to join the amazing adventure of a class that awaited me. The decision was difficult because it was at first was based on the idea of being considered a “Tekker”. “Tekker” is a stereotypical term which refers to students who go to CPI whom don’t excel at their home school. Fortunately my creativeness overwhelmed my insecurity and I decided that I was here to silence that stereo type! 


The first day of the first year brought excitement, which was only amplified by two of my best friends from regular school who joined this same class. Together we were the “Creative” ones within our home school. Though not always appreciated by teachers, our creativity was made obvious through our class work. Every assignment we completed was decorated with images inspired by our brains and that we found around us. The creative outlet that is Graphic Arts calmed our excessive illustrations greatly. Once able to get out some of my creativity within our CPI class, I was now able to focus more on my home school work, which improved my grades significantly. 
The beginning of my second year was an awkward experience that I was fortunate enough to share with 17 strangers who were as equally uncomfortable. The “First Years” were now Second year afternoon students who had to merge with the third year afternoon students. After temporary resentment we learned to accept each other and found we all had common interests and goals.  And by the third month we were a family. Learning and improving one another was our new routine. And I’m glad to have made some new friends. This year has also brought me new lessons and projects. For example I’m working on making a book jacket for the short story “The Lottery” (a story suggested by my ever helpful teacher Mrs. Boyd). The task is to make the book jacket have every detail that comes with actual books (barcodes, summaries, authors, ext…). I’ve already completed my thumbnails with success, I was able to come up with a lot of really good ideas that both my instructor and I found appealing.  
All in all I’ve had a really great experience thus far. I’ve learned so much about design. Handmade and computer generated, Graphic Arts has brought nothing but good experiences and fond memories, and I hope to make so many more.  
loove me,
Bryce 

No comments:

Post a Comment