An Introduction

This blog is to introduce you to the general idea and atmosphere of CPI as a Career and Technical Center. I want people to hear about us, and not in the old “tekker” kind of way. Career and Technical Centers are amazing institutions of learning; students leave here with certifications that adult students pay for. When students graduate they leave skilled workers ready to join the work force, or planning to continue in their field of study through post secondary education. Instructors are skilled and knowledgeable in the fields they teach, and enjoy helping students find a place in the field they have chosen. There is nothing here to make me feel that the old connotation of “tekker” holds true.

So over the next year, I hope you will follow along and see what happens in my classroom, what students are doing, where they are going, and how they plan to get there. I’ll also be allowing students to blog along with me, so you can get their side of the story too. My main goal is to educate and inform the general public about what we do here and how we do it. I hope to be entertaining, and humorous, but most of all I hope to be honest. It’s not always easy, and it’s not always fun, but it is ALWAYS worth it.

Best Regards,

Yana Boyd

Friday, December 17, 2010

Meet Jordan

Hi my name is Jordan Walizer, I enjoy Graphic design, and love coming to CPI. At first I wasn’t quite sure about the whole CPI thing, I was dreading maybe not getting along with my fellow classmates, or not enjoying the work, but boy was I mistaken. Graphic Arts has been an outlet that allows me to plug into it and release my artistic urges. I took part in many arts classes which passed the time by, and I enjoyed very much, but it just wasn’t enough. So finally my parents convinced me that I should go, and try it out, they seemed so sure, they had to know I would like it. So the very first day was slow and boring, I knew Mrs. Boyd was running through class rules, and the syllabus wouldn’t reveal anything that would show me whether this was for me or not. But the second day was the real mind changer, we started on our first assignment, and right off the bat I had learned something new, I knew then that this class was 100% for me. I still doodle at home school, but not nearly as much as before, my teachers notice it too.
           
Our first set of projects and assignments dealt with learning how to create positive and negative space, then we moved on to principles, and elements. Up until just recently all my projects and assignments have been "A's", that is, until the last assignment. The objective of the assignment was to draw an instrument and depict what sound it seems to make and draw that too. I drew a Guitar, it looked nice, but the sound wasn’t  great it was a rose vine entangling the guitar. After critique I knew it wasn’t an A project. This brings me to my next paragraph…critique.
           
I had no idea how we would critique in this class at first, but after the first critique I had it down, it was fun being able to criticize others work in a good and bad way, all for the soul purpose of helping them realize their flaws. Critique is an extremely helpful way to make you see your own mistakes, and what you have to change. Critique also helps us with our presenting. You have to be able to stand up in front of the class, and not only explain your own assignment, or project, but also others work as well.
           
At the moment we are all working on a project that requires you to use symmetry, and asymmetry. I’m using different types of principles in my project, like flow, unity, and correspondence, I’m also using geometric elements. I think my symmetry turned out pretty good. I expect the same for my asymmetry piece. “HA” I guess only time and critique will tell.
           
Not only is this class fun and interesting, it also has an extremely calm and peaceful environment to work on assignments and projects. The class itself is amazing as well. I guess when you put a group of people with the same interest and views in the same room, your bound to form a wonderful class relationship. This is how I personally feel about our class; I don’t think you could ask for more friendly and hardworking classmates to work alongside of. All of us try our hardest to improve each other in every way we can see, whether it be a line out of place, or an unintentional dot on the paper, we do our best to help each other with our work each and every day here at CPI.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment